Thursday, November 02, 2006

Don Davison cares for families, victims, court standards

Dear True,

Thank you for your endorsement.

I am running for the office as the Cook County Attorney because,
like you, I care deeply about my county and community. I have a
passion for justice and a commitment to public service that I
believe will result in the betterment of Cook County.

I am a lifelong resident of northern Minnesota, and Cook County
has been my home for more than 30 years.

I know the important responsibilities of the office of County
Attorney. I believe that as your County Attorney I can do more
for our community because I know the job, I know the people, and
most of all, I know the potential that we have, as a community,
to make Cook County a better, safer, place to live.
As your County Attorney, I tirelessly and effectively prosecuted
criminals. I plan to bring that same energy and focus back to
the office from the moment I am sworn in. I will bring that same
passion in juvenile and family court matters.

I know that no one wins when serious cases are dismissed or plea
bargained away. I also know that society is the loser when
victims’ rights are not respected. Many people have commented on
the passion that I carry into this election. I am passionate
because our family has felt firsthand how victims of serious
crimes are affected when those crimes are reduced by the county
attorney’s liberal plea bargaining.

Anyone running for this important off should have a list of
priorities. Here are mine:
• Use a multi-agency approach to reduce the scourge of illicit
drugs in our community
• Establish consistent standards for filing criminal cases so
major cases are not dismissed by the courts or routinely plea
bargained away
• Recommend consistent sentences to the court so people are
treated equally regardless of race or socioeconomic status

• Strictly enforce victims rights, especially recognizing the
huge emotional and financial toll for crimes against the person
• Keep witnesses informed as cases work their way through the
courts system
• Use an effective team approach in child protection and family
court cases, involving the family in a positive manner
• Protect vulnerable adults from abuse and financial exploitation
• Provide competent, knowledgeable advice to county board and
commissions

I am involved in many volunteer activities. Having done so, I
have become exposed to a wide variety of people and their
experiences. I also believe that we need to give back to this
community:
• Cook County Historical Society Board
• First Congregational Church Board
• Library Friends recycler
• Johnson Heritage Post Management and Collections Committee
• Maple Hill Church & Cemetery Board
• Volunteered to write incorporation documents for John
Beargrease Sled Dog Race and North House Folk School

This is an important election for the direction of our county.
I’m humbled by your support.


Donald B. Davison
P.O. Box 6
Grand Marais, MN 55604

davison@boreal.org

No comments: