Thursday, June 21, 2007

Why am I not surprised?

Dear True,
I have been reading with interest the recent posts that taconite dust can cause cancer and that the public officials charged with public safety have withheld this information from workers.
Hmm, I just have one comment. This concerns the statements by some powers that be that there is no reason to suspect any culprit other than asbestos in the killer cancer.
I am a descendant of Appalachian coal miners from the Kentucky mountains. From my earliest memories I heard about "black lung disease." The lungs turn black from exposure to coal dust. Let's not quibble about coal, taconite, or asbestos. They all are poisonous.
Duh, it seems like a no-brainer to me. In the 50 years since my childhood, other poisons have entered the environment freely and what was once "only" a lung affliction has now turned to the deadliest cancer.
Nancye Belding
Grand Marais

No comments: