Friday, January 26, 2007

Poor in Cook County

Poor in Cook County and regressive taxes

Okay I am “outing” as a poor person in Cook County. Since moving here seven years ago I have been unemployed, underemployed, and bankrupt. No, I was not born to the “culture of poverty” but I might as well have been. Thirty-plus years of a professional career in the Cities resulted in several new jobs: as housekeeper, then entry-level, part time work ending in layoffs.

So. I am stuck here now, with four cats and a dog and no place to go. I can’t meet my basic living expenses, which are at least 30 percent higher than they were in the Twin Cities metro area. Has anyone compared costs at the grocery store, gas station, and public utilities with other places? I pay huge taxes on gas, phone calls, and virtually everything I buy in addition to the staggering costs of food and energy just to survive.

I refuse to eat starchy, fattening macaroni dinners from the food shelf and also to feed junk food to my small companions. I don’t have water or septic and frankly, I stink.

And yet, I am told by the seven major employers of young strong people at the resorts that it would be to my advantage to increase taxes on food and beverages and recreation because this would mainly affect the “marks”: i.e., the tourists.

Not so. Though it may be very occasional, I sometimes meet friends for coffee in town-- a treat I can scarcely afford as a poor person in Cook County. I am not a sports fan but my friends who like to play golf or ski will have to pay more for the privilege that once was seen as part of our good life. When I first moved to Minnesota some 40 plus years ago, almost everybody was proud to live in a place where folks took care of other folks. Taxes were paid and people got benefits from them. Super high quality education for kids and even for college students at low cost was maybe the most important but not the only bennie in the state run by the Bean Feed Party of giants like Hubert Humphrey and Walter Mondale. We took for granted that our environment, our forests, our lakes and rivers were a sacred trust for all to enjoy, quietly and peacefully, and without charging the poorest people extra.

It’s a very sad decline today to see the likes of Norm Coleman and his ilk who change their stripes every time the wind blows and who bow to the greedy rich at every turn.

Yes indeed, Cook County has major problems.... There is not enough infrastructure to support the tourist demand in the summer season and so foreign workers descend on us in the summer, gladly working for wages that would not support my puppy. Residents who can’t for one reason or another work three to four jobs find they can’t make ends meet. And in winter, like now, us poor folks can’t afford to buy wood or pay for electricity to keep us warm.

So, what solution is proposed by the biggest and richest employers? Subsidize, just like the U.S. Senate demands that business owners get breaks for paying people the barest of minimum wages. Impose new sales taxes on almost everything.

And, what is a real solution that works for those of us (female, single, elderly) who can’t cope? Yes, there needs to be support of our economy (think, grants from both government and foundations) and yes, we are far behind the rest of the state in gaining this support. But, please do not build critical economic incentives on the backs of those least able to bear the cost.

Poor but honest in
Grand Marais

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

"So. I am stuck here now, with four cats and a dog and no place to go." ??!!!

Give me a break! You clearly made a CHOICE to live here. This is, I admit, a WAG but I'll bet you a bag of all natural kitty litter there isn't a lock on the exterior of your door preventing your moving on to a more suitable situation. Nor is there a gate at the county line (or the state border) keeping you from a new path.

You stink (your words not mine) because you choose to stink.

Boo frickin hoo. Be the honest person you claim to be: admit and own your decisions, and move on if need be. And spare us the stench-ridden self pity; THAT stinks.

Anonymous said...

Monique's response is so indicative of one of the region's main problems: meanness. The "If you don't like it... leave" garbage that is designed to defeat any real thinking or dissent, or progress. How 'bout this "Monique", if you dont like "Poor in Cook county's" comments, why don't you leave? And so on and so on. Now do I have to leave? I like "Poors" comments because they did not follow any party/ ideologocal lines. "Poor" acknowledges the stinky economy without asking for handouts. "Poor" is right on.

Anonymous said...

The main issue behind "Poors" comments is that Cook County's economy has changed from logging/blue collar to tourism/ service (with a large dose of construction, too). The jobs that follow the new economy are exactly part of the dilemma "Poor" faces- low paying. I feel for "Poor" but good paying jobs don't appear out of thin air.
Take a hard look at what is going on in the county, and figure out where you can fit in the economy that best utilizes your skills.
Good luck

Anonymous said...

Dear Monique,
You are absolutely correct that I made a choice to live here. I liquidated all my assets and moved to my primitive cabin with high hopes that my (perhaps) illustrious career in the Cities would lead to a living-wage future in Cook County. This did not happen.
I didn't and don't like stinking but there isn't another option. I have maxed out on my investment in water and sewer.
I have worked really hard in the past seven years and I have contributed much to this community, but at an income level about 10 percent what it used to be before I gambled everything on my choice to live here. Could I have predicted that? Perhaps, but I did not.
I hope you never need to pack up and leave a situation where you have placed all your bets, and lost.
My intent was not so much to to whine or complain though I agree it sounded like that. I simply wanted to offer my personal case history as evidence of why it is difficult to survive in Cook County regardless of your job skills.
And, mainly and most importantly, to propose that regressive sales taxes which fall unfairly upon the lowest wage earners are not the answer to the economic problems we face here.
Dear Monique, whether or not I can leave the county is not the issue I am trying to address.
That issue is: why should the already-rich derive further benefits from a regressive sales tax that the lowest income wage earners, such as myself, must pay just like the wealthiest?
Thanks so much for sharing, Monique.
Poor

fastjerry said...

Anonymous is right on about the economy in Cook County and even more so on a proposed "solution", more sales tax! I remember when the "Levander penny" was added to the state tax structure, it was regressive then -in spite of the concession to us "liberals" in not applying it to food and clothing- and it remains regressive today. Unfortunately our real loss in going to the sales tax is that it put a new tax collection mechanism in place which makes it real simple to simply add a percent here or a "piggy back" percent there without really thinking about how it affects those in the lower economic strata or fixed income retirees. Hey, I don't mind paying taxes, they pay for infrastructure as well as growth, but when I pay a higher percentage of my income for taxes than someone in the 100K bracket I object. The fact the the higher income person recieves a greater benefit as well make my blood boil. No new SALES taxes I say, come up with real solutions in which all can benefit.