Monday, April 02, 2007

ATVers Steal the Peace

True,

If the CCStar would once display some objectivity, some balance in their reporting and choice of letters I wouldn't write this weekly digression but , here we go again: if there are no letters that disagree with the pro ATV view of the paper it is either 1) anyone disagreeing is not likely to be published, or 2) those in disagreement don't bother writing to the CCStar because it is a waste of time.

Thomas Bernier writes that Cascade Beach Rd is noisy because of semis on 61 so we should put up with the additional noise of ATVs. Really. If you are having difficulty with the existing noise level it is OK to add to it because you are already disturbed? Really! I live a mile and a half back from 61 and the trucks don't make as much noise as the ATVs. I suppose I should invite the truckers to drive closer to me because the ATVs are already disturbing my peace! Sorry Tom, that analogy doesn't cut it. But you did ask if I ever "read the safety warnings in your motor vehicle"? Well, yes, Tom, I have and if ATVs met 10% of my motor vehicles safety standards I might be more accepting of them sharing road space with me. But, Tom, ATVs are exempt from almost every safety standard applied to road vehicles because they are not designed for road use, so, no, I am not willing to share the road with them.

Brian Silence suggests that since fatalities on the ski hill have been greater than fatalities illegally riding ATVs on the road we should allow ATVs the opportunity to challenge those casualties by permitting them to legally compete! Yes, Brian, there are risks in every activity, but the usual response is to try to REDUCE that risk, not increase it. And, Brian, I am glad you can laugh, and I hope you can laugh at yourself as Clyde's comments are at least statistically defensible, looking at who was at the meeting only tells you who was at the meeting, not how bright or how financially secure they are.

I think a quick and thorough search of economic data will support the thought that silent sports in general contribute far more to the area than the noisy sports and with less negative impact, and that birders are on the high end of that scale. But this isn't a laughing matter, Brian, it has serious impacts on a lot of lives up here, not just for the convenience of a few but for the impact the noise, added pollution, and added damage to the landscape has on all of us. The reason many of us have chosen Grand Marais is that it was a peaceful haven, an outpost of wilderness, a community of arts. If you like the noise, if you like the interaction of motorheads, if you like the cacophony of a mechanized society: live in the TC metro area. Me, I love big cities with their hustle and bustle, but only for short periods, for relief I live in Grand Marais, don't try to steal that from me.

fastjerry

No comments: