Thursday, April 26, 2007

Grand Marais poor tax

True,
There are many ways that the poor are over-taxed. Onesuch is the sales tax, that same one now in the state legislature asking that everybody pay one percent on everything they spend except for food and clothing. This is to support "infrastructure improvements" that could probably be supported by existing grant programs, both federal and nonprofit.
Another such is the proposed gas tax increase of 10 cents per gallon, a blip to the comfortable middle class, a mosquito to the rich, but for us poor folks a devastating blow. We don't have mass transit in Cook County so cars are our only access to jobs.
None of us make enough money to pay income tax. Think about that. But we pay hundreds of dollars in fees and sales taxes that bring our total tax burden at least to the level of the middle class.
Po' folks like me also live on fixed incomes (NOT welfare, cowboys! Think, Social Security) that don't always meet our essential needs. For this very reason, the federal fuel assistance program was created to ensure that we don't freeze solid during the winter. In past years the worst of the winter heating costs were largely subsidized by it.
This year, the subsidies were cut drastically. Also the Grand Marais Public Utilities fees per kilowatt hour went up by about 20 percent. And, even when a grant was approved, it was strung out over four months.
For me, True, this meant that my utility liability more than doubled over last winter. I don't have any heat source except for small electric heaters and wood.
But the Poor Tax was added on: I have to pay a stiff penalty of $15 to $20 per month because the fuel assistance help I counted on was denied or delayed.
I will be paying this Poor Tax every month in 2007 as well as the excess fees charged this year, as well as the gap resulting from federal budget cuts.
Are you rich?
Well, lucky you. But you don't pay any more in taxes and fees than I do, with my IRS taxable income of minus zero.
Anonymous (Oh don't think I am so dumb as to sign my name to this!)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember being poor. My chair was a cardboard box that I stuffed with newspaper. I listened to the radio for my entertainment and slept on a blowup mattress. I ate PB&J and liptons cup-o-soup. I owned a bike and rode to work or walked. Granted it wasn't far five if memory serves me right.
I worked while I went to school at night. I worked on improving my condition. I built my own furniture. I grabbed at opportunity when available and watched it slip away.

Today I'm comfortable. I have enough to carry me far into the future.

Your post doesn't move me. You still have a computer and are running it. It seems to me that you haven't fallen far enough yet to appreciate what you have.

Don't think I'm stupid enough to sign this!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh, anonymous too.
Right you are.
Not stupid in Grand Marais

Anonymous said...

With all respect to Anonymous Too, this post was not personal. Anonymous One was writing about the ways that the poor are forced to pay taxes that the ultra-rich easily avoid.
Anonymous One has no heating system, and one might guess no water or sewer either. S/He is overly modest. It gets pretty darn cold in the cabin. S/he hates not having water, not being warm despite humongous electric bills, despite Poor Taxes on his late payments.
Anonymous One is not looking for sympathy. He has a computer, yes, gifted to him by his dead mother and used entirely in his business. BUT, he doesn't have a toilet. He doesn't have water. Hopefully, you get the picture.
Anonymous Two's post was very cute. But, Anonymous One's post was not about being poor per se. It was about the taxes imposed on being poor.
Think about it.
Not dumb enough to sign my name.

Foster Mom said...

Have a voice people. What you think is important. Regardless of the popularity. I like this site for its voice but to be anonymous is chicken shit. It is like all the people at the local watering holes running their mouths about what should be done , while doing nothing themselves. It is a waste of time if you dont have the backbone to stand up for what you think and believe. I have a sick mother, I have a very sick father, I have work ,I have dogs.I have no time for other crap. But I begged people to come to "the meeting". True north posted it. Very few of you came came. Restaurant owners did. We beat our part of of it but when the vote came for the rest of it ...I said "who is here to speak for the outfitters, the other people" and about 6 people raised their hands. Somebody has to speak out!! Anonymous people deserve what they get. Nothing. We needed your opinions then! Before it left Cook County.
Sarah Hamilton
Trail Cenetr Lodge

Foster Mom said...

Please feel free to fix my spelling
and typos